Skip to main content

Teodora's Book Reviews: “The Minivers on the run” by Natalie Jane Prior





Another book that I liked was “The Minivers on the run” by Natalie Jane Prior. The Minivers are the most famous girls in Artemisia. They’re rich, talented princesses, chart-topping pop stars with their own fashion label and millions of adoring fans.
When I first heard of two pop stars, I thought, “Yes, another two girls being very famous and adored... This story might be like in the real life...” But I was totally impressed when I discovered that Rosamund and Emily Miniver are only two feet tall! I tried to imagine two girls who were ten (Emily) and fourteen (Rosamund), singing and giving autographs to their fans, but it was a bit hard. I said to myself: “Now this is a story with a brand new adventure, waiting just for me to be read!”
Those two talented princesses, with their red silk halter-neck dresses, covered in sequins, dressed in shimmering green, with gold sandals, have no idea that behind the show-biz glamour, ruthless enemies are plotting to kidnap them. The tiny sisters are running for their lives in a world of gigantic danger...
I simply don’t like when a character says something that can make your courage disappear. When Rosamund said to Emily “Neither of us knows when we were born, or where, or even why. We’re not real people at all. We’re Minivers. We just – are.” I realized that, even though they were in the middle of a whole mess of danger, they were losing their bravery, they did not believe in them anymore... It was horrible when I read that Emily and Rosamund are not together anymore, all by themselves, in the big city, trying desperately to be together again!
“Suppose Madame has murdered Emily? That’s what I’m really afraid of. I just wish I know what to do. Emily’s so little. I’m afraid she’s dead.” is a paragraph, which shows Rosamund worrying thoughts about her sister, Emily. I realized that the love between the two sisters could never be broken! I found in the story a sentence that I will never forget: “Minivers will always love each other and be together forever!” Reading this, I just thought “If only people in the real world could be like a Miniver...” In all this fight between Madame and Millamant, I found out that Madame was looking after Rosamund’s key, given by Papa King (“I want to know where the key is! Why don’t you just give me what I want?”). The key was a symbol of honor. If you gave it to someone, it meant that the person would soon become king or queen of Artemisia. I realized that Madame is a bad person, with selfish ideas and plans...
Of course, I was happy when Emily, with fear growing in her heart, heard this lovely compliment from a fan: “We love you because deep down, in our hearts, you give us hope.” I know that it is really good to be loved by many people!
Well, this story ends with the two little girls and their an unfinished adventure. They had learned about betrayal, had suffered.
When you hear the name “Miniver”, just think of the sentence: “We Minivers may be small, but we’re tough.”
This book is a really good nail-biting fun! :)

Comments