Skip to main content

Teodora's Book Reviews: “The Magic Box” by Kit Wright



One of my favorite books was “The Magic Box” by Kit Wright. This “box” contains a lot of funny poems, ready to be read and to make the readers laugh. In all this sea of poems, I chose some of them. I think that the chosen ones are really funny and well made.
The first two poems are from page 6. One of them is entitled “Nutter”. The comparisons are really nice (“The moon’s a big white football / The sun’s a pound of butter/The earth is going round the twist / And I’m a little nutter!”). The second poem is called “Some People”. It’s funny when the author says this: “I told my friend a secret/”It dies with me.” he said / Then he dropped dead / You can’t tell some people anything!” At first, I didn’t understand the lines. Then, when I read it one more time, I just started to laugh. It was hilarious; you know, when you’re dead, all the secrets you know die with you. You can’t tell them anymore. :) This book has poems with tongue twisters inside them. I found three. The first one is from “Doris” (page 9): “There was a young lady called Doris / Who had a twin sister called Chloris / One brother called Maurice / Another called Norris / And two more called Horace and Boris.” The second one is “When The Pope Takes a Shower” (page 120): “Should the Pope grope for the soap and the soap slip off the slope? Would the Pope feel a dope? Would hope be beyond his scope? Would the Pope mope? Nope. The Pope could cope.” The third one is “My Party” (page 126): “Phyllis Willis, Horace Morris, Nancy, Clancy, Bert and Gert Sturt, Dick and Mick and Nick Crick, Ron, Don, John, Dolly, Molly, Polly, Neil Peel, and my dear old friend, Dave Dirt.” I like all of them, especially the second one, with the Pope. I tried to say it quickly, but I stumbled.
I also liked this short poem, “The Rabbit’s Christmas Carol” (page 18): “I’m sick as a parrot / I’ve lost me carrot / So get us a lettuce / Or... go away!” I suggest something to the readers: do not read this poem until Christmas! :D It’s funny though that the Easter bunny appears in a Christmas poem... :)
The author writes about many cool things! I also liked the poem entitled “Me” (page 39): “My Mum is on a diet / My Dad is on the booze / My Gran is out playing Bingo / And she was born to loose / What a dim old family! / What a dreary lot! / Sometimes I think I’m the only superstar they’ve got.” I love poems which are about things kids like (being a superstar, and so on...). Sometimes I think that I’m cooler than my little sister! :D
For those who are afraid to go to the dentist, I recommend the poem “Say Aagh!” (page 50): “No fun being the dentist / Not much fun as a job / Spending all of your day in / Gazing right into everyone’s gob / No fun seeing the dentist / Not much fun at all / Staring straight into his hairy nostrils / Drives you up on the wall!” Try to think of this poem when you go to the dentist! :)
Calling out, calling out: this next poem (Dad’s Beard” – page 63) is for fathers: “Last year my Dad grew a great big thick red beard / Nothing but hair everywhere / Can’t say I liked it at all / But now he’s shaved it / He certainly looks pretty weird / Without the beard / Nothing but face all over the place/Can’t say I liked it at all.”
Three more poems and I’m outta here! “Did You Ever!” (page 72) made me laugh (it’s because the poem’s picture – you should see it!): “Did you ever / Meet an old man in a sky-blue overcoat? / Yes? Well, so did I / Did you ever / Meet an old dog in velvet trousers? / Never? Neither did I.”
Of course, you might look for poems with crazy ideas... Well, here are two double-strangely-funny poems (“It’s Spring, It’s Spring!” and “It’s Winter, It’s Winter” – pages 74-75): “It’s spring, it’s spring / When everyone sneaks into everyone else’s yard and bashes up their snowman / It’s spring, it’s spring – isn’t it?” and “It’s winter, wonderful winter / When everyone lounges around in the sun! / It’s winter, wonderful winter / And I am completely and utterly bonkers!”
One piece of advice: those poems are really helpful; if you’re in a bad mood, you can laugh your socks off with them! :)

Comments