Skip to main content

Teodora's Book Reviews: “Michael Rosen’s Big Book of Bad Things” by Michael Rosen





I liked “Michael Rosen’s Big Book of Bad Things” because it’s packed with brilliant poems you will want to read again and again. The author wrote about many things. My favorite poem was the one in which Michael Rosen wasn’t going to bed (when he was told to do so). The line “My mom says: "Michael, it’s time for bed!", all I hear is: "Michael, it’s time for -.” made me laugh. It reminded me that when I was little, I was doing almost the same thing as the writer. I was going to bed, but I couldn’t get to sleep. I always did different kind of things in bed, like playing or drawing.
Of course, this isn’t the only thing I liked about this book. Believe it or not, I found myself in many poems written by Michael Rosen. For example, I liked this paragraph “I’m one second late for school and six school guards have arrested me. Where am I going, guys? To the school prison? But... it smells of feet!” When I read this poem, I said to myself that school does look like a prison... I was scared (well, not so much) to go to school now. One day I was accidentally five minutes late for school. I started to think with horror: what did five minutes mean? Five years in school prison? Luckily, there was no teacher in my classroom. The teacher was actually late! I thought that it was not fair that the teachers weren’t taken to the school prison...
Anyway, let’s just go to other funny poems like those with double-meaning words! I just love it when an author plays with the words. These poems remind me of tongue twisters or jokes... For example, we have “If a motivator motivates and an indicator indicates, what does an alligator do?” or “rain raining” or “lemonade, orangeade” or “What’s chazze bupke? Tigers’ eggs. What are tigers’ eggs? Chazze bupke.” My favorite poem is the first one (with the alligator). I tried to say it really quick, but it was hard! Even though tongue twisters are making me crazy (seriously, what does an alligator do???), I liked them. Kids usually enjoy these kinds of riddles very much...
Oh, I almost forgot! In this book I found one sentence that impressed me: “Dad, when you grow up, do you want to be a baby?” This question came from a baby’s mind (let’s just say, a three-year-old baby...). This funny question reminded me of my sister. She once asked me: “When you grow up, do you want to play in a kindergarten?” This made me realize that I was jealous of my sister: she does play everyday, while I have tons of homework. Believe me, it’s no fun!
Well, as I was saying, this book is full of beautiful poems. I liked them because they are just perfect for kids... or even adults! I wish I could write silly poems like Michael Rosen! Oh, wait, I suggest you something: do not read those poems again and again. You don’t want to get SO bad, right? :)

Comments