Skip to main content

Teodora's Book Reviews: “Sky Hawk” by Gill Lewis



Another interesting book was “Sky Hawk” by Gill Lewis. This story was indeed captivating.
Callum (or Cal, for short) is the main character. He met a really nice girl named Iona. The two kids became friends. When Iona told Cal she got a secret to show him, I was excited. I knew that soon the two friends would see something special: the sky hawk. I was glad when I discovered that I was right: “I saw the secret hidden in our valley. No one else knew about it. Not Mum or Dad, or Graham, or Rob and Euan. Just me, and Iona. It was... an osprey!”
Ospreys were rare, so to keep it safe from harm, Cal and Iona did not tell a soul. They were taking such good care of the osprey. They watched it how it build its nest, found its mate and went fishing. When I read this paragraph “It’s the osprey. I think she is dead.” I was scared. The osprey was hurt because of a fishing line, which cut her foot.
Luckily, Cal and Iona called out for help from Cal’s dad and Hamish, a man who knew a lot about animals. They healed the osprey’s foot. I was very happy when I read this: “She exploded from my hands. Up, she flew, into the sunlight. She was free.” I knew Cal and the others made a great job...
Well, of course, do not think that this story is only about a bird... Cal and his family kept the osprey as a secret with its mate and chick. This book contains some jokes, too, to cheer you up after breathtaking moments. For example, a conversation between two ordinary brothers, Cal and Graham: “I could already see it was going to be huge. “I could live up here.” I said. “That’s the general idea, Cal. It’s Mum and Dad’s way of getting rid of you...” said Graham.”
I hate telling this, but there is an important, but very sad moment in this story... Iona got summer flu. When Cal visited her, he saw that she could not keep her eyes wide open and that her breaths were short. I felt that something will turn bad (really bad!)... When Callum said: “I never saw Iona again.” I panicked! What did that mean? Did Iona get well and went to another country? I tried to think of good things, but I felt that something would turn wrong... Sadly, I was right... I can give a little tip for those who aren’t so tough: you might find this very, very sad: “It’s Iona. She died... last night.” I was totally shocked by this! I couldn’t imagine such a thing! How could have Iona died? She just had summer flu! I felt so sorry for her! I wasn’t expecting this, especially when Iona was one of the important characters! :(
Even after Iona’s death, Cal still took care of Iris, the female osprey. Iris had to leave for Africa, where it was warm. With a satellite transmitter, Cal could keep track of Iris, seeing wonderful pictures of places where the osprey went.
When Iris got to Africa, she got hurt because of her infected foot. Cal made a contact with an African girl named Janeba. With her help, Cal could know how Iris was doing... The African villagers healed the osprey and freed her.
I was so happy! But when I read this paragraph “What scares me most is knowing that I will never walk again.” I said, “Oh, no, I don’t want more sick people!” Cal raised money for Janeba’s operation in London. Everything turned out just fine, and the osprey returned back home after a dangerous storm...
I liked this story because it’s like in the real life! It’s about friendship, discovery and incredible journeys. When I read the ending, “Her bright sunflower-yellow eyes looked right into mine.” I knew that this is a happy one! :)

Comments