Skip to main content

Teodora's Book Reviews: “Olivia’s First Term” by Lyn Gardner



One of my favorite books was “Olivia’s First Term” by Lyn Gardner. It’s a book packed with adventures and excitement. I liked this story because it’s about a girl of my age, a girl who is very nice and courageous. She is very talented... Well, let’s not stay lolly-gagging here; I will tell you some important things about this book... And my opinion about all these...
Olivia is the main character. She is twelve. She is used to circus life; she enjoys high wire walking! Olivia’s life was very good, until her mum, Toni, died in an accident with the high wire walking... Jack, Olivia’s dad, became poor and had to find a new job, leaving the circus behind...
Olivia and her sister, Eel (of course, this is a nickname!) are at a stage school: The Swan. Alicia Swan, their grandmother on the mum’s side, owned the school. This place made Olivia really angry! She wanted to be a circus girl again!
I just hate when people have fights. I felt sad when Alicia Swan told Jack “You’re not a fit father.” I would not like to hear someone talking bad things about my parents. Olivia was upset when she heard that Jack “is not a fit father”. She burst out into screaming: “He is, he is a fit father. He’s the best father in the whole world! How dare you say he’s not! You are not a fit grandmother. You just abandoned us after Mum died and told Dad you didn’t even want to see him again!” I felt sorry for Olivia. All her life changed very quickly... She was so upset and angry that she couldn’t even control her temper!
When I read this paragraph “She raced through the endless corridors, desperate to say she was sorry and that she thought he was the bravest man in the world.” I realized how much Olivia loved his dad... I can give a tip to the readers: if you don’t want to be sad, do not read this book (well, you can read the happy ending, though)!
Are you getting bored? All right, I will get to the part with the stage school; so do not think that this story is only about a family problem... Olivia simply hated the school, especially the ballet lessons. She was always saying, “I feel like an elephant in a room full of baby gazelles.”
Olivia felt alone at stage school. Luckily, she made friends with Tom, a boy, who made her happy by telling her this: “You do have a talent. Everyone can dance to a greater or lesser degree. But very few people can walk the high wire, and you’re one of them. I’m dead impressed.” Olivia realized that she did have a talent after all... I was happy!
Well, I don’t know about other people, but I hate-hate-hate annoying characters like... Katie Wilkes-Cox! She is sooo bad! She was dead jealous of a talented girl, Georgia, and tried to be rude with her! She even blamed Olivia for being a thief, just to get her into trouble! If I hear her name again, I will scream! I wish I could tear her apart!!! Ooops, I’m going bananas... Right?
After some adventures at the stage school (about the catching a thief... he-he, sounds interesting, right?), Olivia realized one important and nice thing: “Circus and acting... Romeo and Juliet... This must have been what it was like for my mum and dad when they first met.” I like comparisons between real life and an old story (like Shakespeare’s play).
What else can I say? Do your own act by reading this book!

Comments