Skip to main content

Teodora’s Book Reviews: “Diary of a Wimpy Kid – The Third Wheel” by Jeff Kinney





Before starting, I want you to know something: I am the BIGGEST fan of the “Diary of a Wimpy Kid” books!!! I love all Greg’s diaries (oops, sorry, journals; you know what Greg says: “First of all, let me get something straight: this is a JOURNAL, not a diary.”)!!!



I’ve read all the books (“Diary of a Wimpy Kid”, “Diary of a Wimpy Kid – Rodrick Rules”, “Diary of a Wimpy Kid – The Last Straw”, “Diary of a Wimpy Kid – Dog Days”, “Diary of a Wimpy Kid – The Ugly Truth”, “Diary of a Wimpy Kid – Cabin Fever”, both “The Wimpy Kid Do-It-Yourself” books and “The Wimpy Kid Movie Diary”) and I’ve seen all the movies (“Diary of a Wimpy Kid” – 2010, “Diary of a Wimpy Kid – Rodrick Rules” – 2011 and “Diary of a Wimpy Kid – Dog Days” – 2012). I also have got “The Wimpy Kid 2013 Calendar” (with cool bonus stickers inside and really awesome pictures on each page of a month!) and I bought three notebooks, a pencil case and some pencils with Greg from Germany (“Gregs Tagebuch - Von Idioten Umzingelt!" ----> Translation: "Diary of a Wimpy Kid - Surrounded by Idiots!" :) ).



Phew, what a loooong list! I think we can begin talking about the latest book written by Jeff Kinney: (drum roll, please) “Diary of a Wimpy Kid – The Third Wheel”! Love is in the air... <3



One thing is for sure: you can find a joke on each page of a “Diary of a Wimpy Kid” book! I really liked the beginning, especially this paragraph: “Back in those days it was just me swimming around in the dark, doing backflips and taking naps whenever I wanted.” :))



This book is about Greg getting a girlfriend, a dance partner for the Valentine’s Day... dance. He tries a lot of possibilities so he can impress the girls in his class... He even offers to be a babysitter for Laurel Stringer’s brother, Wesley, just to be nice with her. But the problem is that Wesley is really, really crazy! Out of control: “I remembered that the Stringers said that they couldn’t find a babysitter for Wesley, and now that was starting to make a lot of sense. I figured I was gonna have to punish Wesley for locking me in the laundry room once I got out of there.”
You know that Rowley is Greg’s funny best friend. His silly face is always the same (with the two teeth in front!). :))





If you saw Rowley, you would probably say: “This boy has got no chance in life!” Well, believe it or not, but he manages to get a girlfriend named Abigail Brown. Greg is supposed to date Abigail and he needs his best friend, Rowley, to be his assistant... Sadly (for Greg), nothing turns exactly as he plans... And some another bad news is that Rowley has two spots on his face... Do you know what this means? You have the answer here: “When I went over Rowley’s house to get ready, I noticed he had little red bumps on his face that looked like mosquito bites. But then I realized what those spots were: CHICKEN POX.” Greg put a scarf around Rowley’s neck and covered the spots so Abigail wouldn’t be afraid of Rowley...
Here comes my FAVORITE part: when Greg, Rowley and Abigail go to a not-so-fancy restaurant and order their meals, Rowley pulls down his scarf so he can be understood by the waitress. A single molecule of spit flies in the air and lands on... Greg’s bottom lip. I think it is kind of impossible that Rowley’s molecule of spit could land on Greg’s bottom lip from such a distance... But anyway, when I read this paragraph, I laughed for five whole minutes! No, wait, not five minutes, TEN whole minutes! Check it out: “I let my jaw go totally slack so the molecule wouldn’t get into my mouth. I tried to stay calm on the outside, but on the inside I was totally freaking out. I wanted to wipe my lip with my napkin, but I’d dropped it on the floor and couldn’t reach it. So I waited until Abigail was distracted and then wiped my lip on her sleeve.” :))
Yep, to tell the truth, Rowley is my favorite character! He is veeeery funny and silly! Greg is quite of disappointed that Abigail falls in love with Rowley and not with him. Now, at this date between Greg and Abigail Rowley and Abigail, Greg feels... like a third wheel (from the title of the book). He is not important anymore... :|
Wondering how the story ends? With Greg having... CHICKEN POX! Oh, well, better luck next time, Greg! :))
While I was reading this hilarious diary (oops, sorry again, journal), I asked myself: what if Jeff Kinney is the wimpy kid he used to be in his childhood? Now that would be an interesting question for Mr. Kinney... :)





Is it me or are the “Diary of a Wimpy Kid” books getting better and better? :D
Here are some pictures from the book:











I can’t wait for Greg’s next diary journal! Och, you get the idea... :P

Comments

  1. Wow... I am really impresed. Do you got an autograph or smthg from the author or anything?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I've never met him. I wish I could, though...

      Delete

Post a Comment