Skip to main content

The Other Mother’s Revenge by Teodora Leon



The summer holiday came and Coraline with her parents wanted to go to the seaside. After a month, Coraline’s dad said: “I talked to my boss and he said that I could go to the seaside for a week!” Coraline was so happy! She liked to go to the seaside! She could swim in the sea, play with the sand and do many other exciting things! Before she left, Coraline told Wybie, one of her friends, something important: “Wybie, could you keep this key in a safe place, far from the other mother? This key is a magic one and if someone bad takes it, he/she could destroy the world with it!” “R-r-really?” Wybie said, worried. “Yep. That’s why I want you to keep the key in a secret place!” Coraline said. “Ok, Coraline, I promise that the key will be safe!” Wybie said. “Coraline, it’s time to go!” Coraline’s mother shouted. “Coming, mom! I’ve got to go! See you the next week, Wybie! Bye!” Coraline said, waving her hand. “Now, let’s see... where should I hide this key?” Wybie asked himself. Wybie thought for some minutes, then he said: “I could keep the key in my pocket! Yeah... that’s a good idea!”
From that day, Wybie kept the key in his pocket. But, one day, while Wybie was playing with one of his friends, the cat, someone kidnapped him. “Help, cat, help me! Someone is taking me!” Wybie screamed. But it was too late. Wybie disappeared with a stranger in the well (the one that Coraline found). When they arrived at the bottom at the well, the stranger turned to the right. They arrived in a strange house. Wybie was very scared! The stranger threw him in a corner



and after that, Wybie recognized the stranger... it was the other mother! “Well, well, well, look what you’ve got here!” the other mother said. The other father came next to Wybie and got him up. “Leave me alone, you monsters! What do you want from me?” Wybie asked. “You already know, dear!” the other mother said. “You’re wrong! I don’t know what do you want from me!” Wybie said. “Oh, really? All right, I’m going to tell you! I want... THE KEY!” the other mother shouted. “T-t-the key? What key?” Wybie asked, scared. “Oh, come on! I know that the key is at you! Just give it to me!” the other mother said. “No, never!” Wybie shouted. The other mother stared at Wybie, then she clapped her hands. The other father came and took Wybie and raised him in the air. “Hey, put me down! I want to get out of here!” Wybie screamed. “Not untill I find the key!” the other mother said.
Meanwhile, the cat didn’t know what to do. “Shall I save Wybie? Nope, I can’t, I’m just a cat. Shall I call Coraline? Hmmmm... oh, dear, I really don’t know what to do!” the cat said. After a while, he decided to call Coraline. He found a phone both and entered in. Coraline was at the beach. She was swimming. Her mother was reading a book and her father was building a big sand castle. Coraline’s telephone rang. “Coraline, someone is calling you!” her mother shouted. Coraline got out from the water and she picked her telephone. “Hello! Coraline Jones at the phone!” Coraline said. “Um, hi, Coraline! It’s me, the cat. I need your help!” the cat said. “Cat?! What... How did you call me? What’s happening?” Coraline asked, suprised. “Well, it’s a long story, but I’m going to explain to you everything that happened!” the cat said. Coraline was shocked when she heard the entire story. “Oh, no! So that means... if Wybie was keeping the key in his pocket and the other mother kidnapped him... OH MY GOSH! I must get back to my house, immediately!” Coraline said. “Hey, Coraline, do you like the sand castle that I built for you?” her father asked. “Yes, it’s very nice, dad! But we must get back home!” Coraline said. “But, but... why? Have you got bored of the seaside?” Coraline’s mother asked. “No, but Wybie is in trouble! Quickly, we must pack our suitcases and get back home right now!” Coraline said. “But what about your holiday? We wanted so much to go to the seaside and now...” Coraline’s mother said. “Yes, I know that, mom. But, as I told you before, Wybie is in trouble and I must help him!” Coraline said. “As you wish!” Coraline’s mother said.
In two hours, Coraline was back home. Mister Bobinski, the circus man, who lived in the top of the flat, saw Coraline. “Hey, Caroline! You’re back so soon? How was in holiday?” he asked. “I’m sorry, Mister B, but I’m really busy. And my name is Coraline, not Caroline!” Coraline said angrily. She ran everywhere, trying to find the cat. After a while, she found the cat next to the well. “Oh, there you are! You are late a little bit!” the cat said, licking his paw. “Sorry, but I couldn’t find you anywhere!” Coraline said. “So, as I was saying at the telephone, you need to save Wybie.” the cat said. “And get the key back, too! I hope I still got some chances to save Wybie and take the key back!” Coraline said.
Meanwhile, the other mother found the key in one of Wybie’s pockets. Now Wybie was still captured. “Hey, wait a minute. Some moments ago you said that you will let me free if you will find the key! So, you didn’t keep your promise!” Wybie said. “I changed my mind, little boy. I realized that if I’m going to let you free, you’re going to tell Coraline or anybody else about me that I took the key. So, I’m still going to keep you for a while! And don’t forget, you’ve got company!” the other mother said, showing her rats. “A promise is a promise! And I don’t need any company!” Wybie said, angry. “I’m too bad to keep a promise! Now I must destroy the world with this key. But first... a cup of black tea with dead ants.” the other mother said. “Bleah! Do you actually like this?” Wybie asked, horrified. “Why, of course, it’s my favorite tea!” the other mother said. Wybie almost fainted. “Now, darling, could you make for me a cup of tea?” the other mother asked. “Of course! Your favorite tea?” the other father asked. “Yes. Oh, and one other thing. Could put blood in the tea to be more tasty?” the other mother asked. “Right now, dear!” the other father said. Black tea with dead ants and blood in?! This time Wybie really fainted!
Coraline and the cat were getting closer to the other mother’s secret place. “Ohh, I’m so tired! How much do we have?” Coraline asked, tired. “Not much. I can feel it that we are getting closer to the other mother’s place. Soon they arrived at that place. The other mother was very suprised to see Coraline! “Oh, Coraline, how nice to see you! It’s been a long time!” the other mother said. “Leave Wybie alone and give me the key back!” Coraline shouted.



“Easy, Coraline, easy! If you want your friend and the key back, you must challenge me!” the other mother said. “With what? I have nothing with me!” Coraline said. “Well, that means that you must get back home and get something that is going to help you.” the other mother said. “OH MY GOSH!” Coraline said.
After a while Coraline went to Miss Spink and Miss Forcible. “How nice to see you, Caroline! Would you like to come in? We’re playing cards.” Miss Spink said. “I’m Coraline, Miss Spink, not Caroline.” Coraline said. “Coraline, Caroline, whatever!” Miss Spink said. She took Coraline in a room. Miss Forcible came, too! “Oh, hello, Caroline!” Miss Forcible said. Coraline rolled her eyes. “It’s Coraline, not Caroline! C-O-R-A-L-I-N-E!” Coraline said. “Pardon, dear!” Miss Forcible said. “Now, what do you want to tell us, Coraline, dear?” Miss Spink asked. Coraline explained them everything about the other mother, Wybie and the key. After telling the story... “I know what you need.” Miss Spink said and Miss Forcible brought a stick. “Thank you, Miriam!” Miss Spink said. “ You're welcome, April!” Miss Forcible said. Miss Spink handed the stick to Coraline. “A stick? How is it going to help me?” Coraline asked. “You will see...” Miss Spink said.
Coraline and the cat went back to the other mother. When she saw the stick, she started to laugh. “A stick? A STICK?! Ha-ha-ha-ha-ha! This is the funniest thing that I ever saw! Ha-ha-ha-ha-ha! Coraline, Coraline, Coraline, do you really think that you can beat me with a simple stick?” the other mother said. Then, suddenly, her happy face turned into an angry one. “No one can’t beat me! Now that I have the key, I can do anything I want!” the other mother shouted. Then she turned to Coraline. “You destroyed my world so, now I am going to destroy your world!!!” the other mother shouted very loudly. “OH MY GOSH! Miss Spink and Miss Forcible are really crazy! This stick will never...” Coraline said, but something amazing interrupted her. A BIG light came from the stick and hit the other mother, the other father and all the rats. “NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!” the other mother shouted. In that place there were only Coraline, Wybie and the cat. Coraline took the key from the floor. “I’m sorry, but...” Wybie said, but Coraline interrupted him. “It’s okay. At least the other mother didn’t destroy the world!” Coraline said. Everything was okay now! Coraline decided to go to the seaside again, but this time with Wybie and the cat. Her mom and dad said that it was a good idea. Coraline had a great time with her family and friends at the seaside!
Don’t stay with your other mother or father. They can be dangerous... The End

P.S. This summer I read "Coraline", the book. I also saw the movie on a DVD. Both of them are from the British Council Library.



P.P.S. This week I will get "Coraline", the book that my parents ordered from Amazon.uk.!!! :)

Comments