Skip to main content

Teodora’s Book Reviews: “The Haunting of Tabitha Grey” by Vanessa Curtis





Tabitha Grey is the main character of the story. She is a 14-year-old girl who moves into Weston Manor with her family. Her father is the new Keeper of the house.
Tabitha really likes her new home. But, after a while, things begin to change... She starts to hear strange voices. She feels like she is being watched all the time. The scent of lavender coming out from nowhere is strong and unpleasant to her: “The bells. They’re ringing again. In a really haphazard manner. They don’t stop ringing. All night. There are smells around my bed. Lavender. Coal. Voices whisper from the corners of my bedroom and I can hear the swish of silk going back and forth across the wooden floorboards. My windows rattle and bang and at one point something soft brushes my face and there’s a loud laugh right up against my ear. “LEAVE ME ALONE!” I yell...” (page 245)
Unfortunately, no one believes Tabitha’s stories. No one else can hear the strange voices or smell the strong perfume of lavender...
Tabitha is one of my favorite characters. Even though she is scared of everything in this house, she tries to keep calm and stay strong. Her mother is absent-minded quite often and her father starts to spend more time with another woman who also works in the Weston Manor: “Is it true, Dad?” I whisper. I’m hanging on to Ben for dear life, trying to stop him crying. “Are you chasing after somebody else? Is that why Mum’s gone to live with Gran?” Dad doesn’t answer for a moment. When he lifts his head his eyes are heavy with tears, but he looks me straight in the eye and then does just what I don’t really expect him to do. He nods.” (page 244)
Ben, Tabitha’s younger brother, is another interesting character... He doesn’t talk at all during the story. In the end, something unexpected happens... You’ll have to read the book if you want to find out the surprise! :)
The story is very good and I would recommend it to anyone! “The Haunting of Tabitha Grey” probably wants to give us chills running down our spines. It didn’t work for me, but it’s still very well written! I give the book 4 stars out of 5.

Comments