Skip to main content

“Astrophysics for People in a Hurry” by Neil deGrasse Tyson – A Book Review for People in a (Bigger) Hurry





Before I read “Astrophysics for People in a Hurry”, I had thought that the basics of Astronomy (with a pinch of Physics) could be easily understood. Apparently I was wrong. Tyson may have used simple terms and slipped in a few jokes, and yet I couldn’t help but feel even more confused with the vast universe that is simply… out there.

Written at a basic level, the book is meant to offer a quick insight into the past, present and future of outer space. It might be a significant help for anyone who is passionate about Astronomy. In my case, I can only mention two revelations:

1) “The outer space and its concepts are clearly out of this world and out of our reach.”
We may have discovered plenty of secrets, but I suppose we can all agree with the fact that everything related to the universe is overwhelming. I am actually a bit surprised that Tyson still managed to capture the essence of the facts and amaze his readers with his storytelling style. It goes without saying that I memorized the necessary information, however I noticed that there were still many complex ideas way too difficult to comprehend (especially if you’re in a hurry – and who isn’t nowadays?). At times I would just read the lines absent-mindedly. My mind processed the words, but failed to turn them into thoughts. No worries, though, the book may still be a better alternative than a standard lecture.

2) “Dark energy, dark matter – anything dark – will leave you in the dark.”
They are mysterious. Their presence is perfectly known, yet no one can venture more and extract further details. They are somewhere in the universe, tempting you to ask as many questions as possible. They require abstract thinking from the readers, which leads me to an interesting question: is curiosity healthy for us? Shouldn’t we ask for straightforward answers? The way I see it, books and any discussions should leave enough room for a new set of questions. After all, curiosity only killed the cat, satisfaction did bring it back. It’s vital we ask questions and if we don’t receive clear information right from the start, don’t fret. This is actually the perfect time to quote Tyson himself: “The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you.”

Unless you have a degree in a Science subject (or Neil deGrasse Tyson’s charisma), don’t present facts from an objective point of view. Don’t be afraid to be a bit more personal. Be honest, show your readers that you’re as scared as they are. This little book review here may not fit in with scientific articles. But it may be a special addition in a parallel universe.

Comments