Skip to main content

Teodora’s Movie Reviews: “Avengers: Infinity War” (2018)



*Spoilers will be discussed*
Keep going only if you watched the movie (or read spoilers by accident)

I remember the day I came across the first video about Avengers: Infinity War, the “first look” trailer. My heart was racing and I had goosebumps. You could tell that even the directors (the Russo brothers, Anthony and Joe) and the actors were looking forward to an exhilarating journey. Surely, the initial release date (May 4) seemed to be way out of reach and I kept thinking how I would manage to patiently wait for the movie. And yet, here we are one year later, devouring Marvel’s new blockbuster (and record-breaking) movie. Avengers: Infinity War is a subtle proof that time passes by much quicker than I can actually comprehend.

Recently it has been quite a challenge to avoid reading comments and rumors about the plot. However, I suppose it would have been even riskier to surf on the internet if it hadn’t been for Marvel’s impactful hashtag, #ThanosDemandsYourSilence (although, for extra precaution, I also came up with my own: #IronyGalDemandsYourFaithfulCooperation). The lack of spoilers or occasional mere presumptions helped me experience the movie in countless different ways. Despite being the longest film from Marvel, Avengers: Infinity War ended too fast and abruptly. At first, I was simply taken aback by the action development, but once I got back home, I began to fully understand the hidden meaning of numerous powerful scenes. Not to mention the fact that my Facebook feed blew up with (targeted?) articles which were discussing spoilers and putting forward theories. All fans displayed more or less positive reactions towards the movie, but at least everyone felt something deep inside. Whether it was excitement, confusion or pure disappointment, we were still delivered an emotional ride as it had been promised.

It wouldn’t be recommended for me to present the story since I would only go on a teary-eyed ramble. What I can (and will) do is pinpoint the elements which either instantly caught my attention or made me think of in depth.

Thanos’ intentions
If you ask me, this character played by Josh Brolin rightfully claimed the title of a Mad Titan. I am actually a bit surprised with the fact that some fans agree with Thanos’ unusual way of thinking and cruel methods. Undoubtedly, he does stand out from other villains who crave power and control over the entire universe. However, comparing him to Loki or Erik Killmonger may not be wise enough. Even though Thanos is focused on saving the galaxy (and even shows his humane side at some points), his decision to wipe out half the universe’s population with the help of the 6 Infinity Stones (Mind, Power, Reality, Soul, Space and Time) is still unorthodox. Despite his shed tears and regrets, I cannot be inclined to believe that this imposing purple madness could classify as the greatest villain of all time.



If I were to pick a favorite scene with him, it would have to be the one in which he meets the spirit of young Gamora, his adopted daughter, in a tranquil place, after his frightening success. To put it in another way, the overload of insanity (Thanos) encounters the voice of sheer innocence (Gamora as a child). Just like a curious youngster, the girl starts off with the question Did you do it?, which undoubtedly signals the certain victory of Thanos. His confirmation isn’t even necessary since the audience is already aware of the unbelievable consequences. The last question, What did it cost?, not only brings back the painful memory of Gamora being sacrificed in exchange for the Soul Stone, but also awakens a fine-drawn regret in Thanos, echoing in his shattering answer: Everything. This may easily become the new Always from Harry Potter.

The unexpected deaths
I honestly did not anticipate the deaths of Loki (Tom Hiddleston),



Gamora (Zoe Saldana)



and Vision (Paul Bettany).



The unpreventable rumor regarding the death of an important avenger, either Captain America (Chris Evans) or Iron Man (Robert Downey Jr), raised my expectations way too much. While watching Loki being cruelly choked by Thanos in the first 5-10 minutes of the movie, I immediately thought that it would only get worse. But it didn’t. Of course, it was difficult to watch Gamora and Vision being killed, but I wasn’t left traumatized as I had initially thought. I tried to hold in my gasp when Iron Man got stabbed in the stomach, but that was pretty much it. No breakdowns, just heartbreaks.

A little side note: something tells me that Gamora and Vision have the potential to come back one way or another. As for Loki, as strange as it may sound, he deserved a more glorious death. A character like him shouldn’t have gone down in history by simply being choked. But who knows, perhaps a straightforward death has the most impact and leaves you bewildered for a while. Or realizing the fact that Thor’s (Chris Hemsworth) last words to Loki were, You really are the worst brother.

Doctor Strange’s role



The somewhat amusing dispute between the constantly sarcastic Tony Stark and the self-centered Stephen Strange (Benedict Cumberbatch) made me analyze the latter more. The so-called wizard did manage to annoy me multiple times. His whiny and desperate version from the eponymous movie kept coming up in my head and I couldn’t help but wonder what made Doctor Strange feel overly-confident all of a sudden. But he cannot be hated entirely. The simple fact that he saves Tony from further pain by handing over the Time Stone to Thanos shows that he doesn’t care only about himself. In addition to that, Strange foresees the future and has a quick glance upon the Avengers’ chances of success. He sees 14 million potential futures... and only one of them provides the ultimate subjugation of Thanos. Even Strange’s lines We’re in the endgame now and This is the only way demonstrate that giving up the Time Stone is the only opportunity to defeat Thanos once and for all. My conclusion? The little wizard does play an important role and due to that, his explosion of self-confidence can be overlooked.

Spider-Man in all of his honesty



Hands down, Spider-Man (Tom Holland) will always receive a significant amount of attention from me in this bundle of grown-up Avengers. His own movie from last year made it perfectly clear that he is still a teenager who can’t fully take in everything and still has a lot to learn. Yet no one can deny the fact that he still wants to do his own part and perhaps put his skills to the test. Tony plans to send him back home and keep him safe from the most dangerous battle ever, but the daring Peter Parker bravely states a good point: You can’t be a friendly neighborhood Spider-Man if there is no neighborhood. Those words impress both the audience and Peter himself. As soon as Tony lets off an exhausted sigh and briefly announces that Spider-Man is officially an Avenger, people can notice the mixture of emotions on the boy’s expression. He is excited, shocked, hesitant and worried at the same time. But then he puts on a serious face, most likely trying to hide his terror. I can guarantee that Tony’s unexpected decision is what makes Peter completely conscious of what he got himself into.



Throughout the movie, the boy keeps being himself. The type of teenager who uses cool schemes from films he’s watched. The type of kid who looks at other Avengers in awe. The type of hero who apologizes in moments of crisis for not remembering the names of the people he saves. Unfortunately all of this leads to the dreadful ending where half of the characters disintegrate, turn into dust (call it whatever you want) after Thanos snaps his fingers and lets the Infinity Gauntlet do its job. While most heroes discouragingly accept their defeat (or fail to quickly realize what is happening), Peter experiences the whole disintegration process differently (theories claim that it’s because of his spidey sense). The person he reaches out to is Tony and mentions straightaway that he doesn’t feel good. Iron Man at this point can only verbalize a barely reassuring You are alright, just a few moments before Peter falls into his arms and goes on an utterly painful stumble of words while being on the edge of tears: I don’t wanna go, I don’t wanna go. Sir, please, please, I don’t wanna go, I don’t wanna go… The final I’m sorry has let a lot of fans, including me, confused. What is Spider-Man actually feeling sorry for? Is he sorry for not living up to Tony’s expectations? Does he regret that he couldn’t be of more use? Or does he know that his “death” will deeply affect his mentor and father-like figure? Those who have watched Spider-Man: Homecoming will recall Iron Man’s words to Peter: What if somebody had died tonight? Different story, right? Cause that’s on you. And if you died... I feel like that’s on me. I don’t need that on my conscience. Whatever the reason may be, Spider-Man’s horror towards the unknown is undeniably the most genuine reaction, a reaction guaranteed to make your heart ache and fists clench while finally accepting the harsh reality, the conquer of the evil, in a troublingly silent theatre. If you are still not convinced by the success of this scene, let me remind you that the disintegration meme has gone viral (and most people don’t know if they should laugh or cry at it).

Those were the elements that mattered the most to me. Overall I wish other characters, such as Captain America, Black Panther (Chadwick Boseman)



and Shuri (Letitia Wright),



received more screen time and had their powers properly acknowledged (although it is quite impossible for each hero to have the same amount of time under the spotlight). Since the movie has proven to be more like an emotional teaser, I can only hope that the second part will be focused more on the action itself (and feature a glorious entrance from Captain Marvel). Doctor Strange may call it the endgame, but I’m tempted to believe this is just the beginning. The following year will pass as quickly as Thanos snaps his fingers... just like that.

Comments