Skip to main content

Teodora’s Book Reviews: “The Magical Detective” by Brian Keaney





“Otto’s world is about to change for ever...”
This beginning sounded interesting... That’s how I got to read this book... Otto Spinoza is an ordinary boy who lives with his mother. Mrs. Spinoza has a bookshop. She lives there with his son.
One day, Mrs. Spinoza is missing. Otto doesn’t know what to do... He looks for some clues in the bookshop. Suddenly, he finds a card on the notice board. It says: “The Magical Detective Agency”. When I read that Otto decided to visit The Magical Detective, I knew that the adventure was about to start...
Otto meets a strange man who happens to be a “magical” detective with “magical” powers. Otto tells him about his mom’s disappearance. The magical detective (named Maximillian Hawksmoor) offers to help. But the question is: can Otto trust him? This man seems to be strange... To give an example, read this paragraph: “Otto was about to shake hands with the magical detective when he stopped, noticing that the hand Maximillian had offered him had six fingers. Maximillian followed the direction of Otto’s gaze and nodded. “Two middle fingers.” he said. “My father had the same thing. That’s his portrait above the fireplace. And so did his father. Probably his father too for all I know. You needn’t worry. It’s just a genetic peculiarity. I’m not a werewolf or anything.”
When you are a detective, you meet a lot of strange things in your way. I don’t want to be unfriendly, but it’s much better when you discover by yourself the most unexpected surprises in a story, so I’ll keep it short...
After some searching, Otto and Maximillian go to Quillipoth, a strange world. (“I’m talking about an entirely different world, one which can only be reached by magic.”) Juliet Pennington (one of Otto’s classmates) and her cat, Cornelius (or Corny, for short), are accidentally taken in the magical portal and arrive in Quillipoth, too. They accept though to go in the mission, too!
Believe me, this book is perfect for any fans of James Bond or Sherlock Holmes... After you read this story, you will surely become a true detective! Read the book and discover the unexpected surprises from this mission!
Before leaving, I would like to tell you which was my favorite character... I liked Corny. I know, I know, my favorite animals are the cats. But this isn’t the exact reason why I like Corny. He is quite a special cat... First of all: he can TALK! And second of all: he is quite intelligent... for a cat! And quite funny, too! :) (“I’ll tell you what’s ridiculous.” it said after a moment or two. “Expecting me to come to heel like a canine is ridiculous.” It shuddered. “The very idea!”)
“Your world is about to change for ever...” (if you read the book)

Comments