Skip to main content

Teodora’s Book Reviews: "SHORT!" by Kevin Crossley-Holland





When I first saw this book, I thought that the story was going to be about a really short boy (as you can see on the cover). Yes, I know what it says under the title (“A book of very SHORT stories”). I simply didn’t observe such an important detail, that’s all... :))
You would probably say, dear reader, “Hmmm, short stories! What’s the big deal?” Well, yes, these stories are really short (only one page long), but they’ve got something magic... Something that sparkles when a reader finds out its secret... These stories are meant... to be continued! Not by the author, of course! By the reader! I think this is what Kevin Crossley-Holland wants... To transform the reader into a writer! What a clever idea! :)
Check out these fragments. They’re part of two short stories from the book:

“I don’t believe in these here ghosteses.” “You don’t?” said the other man. And he vanished.”

“Butterfly Poem” she wrote at the top of the page. (...) But where were the words? They had all gone. (...) The girl rubbed her eyes. She screwed them up and opened them again. All around her were little scraps of orange and turquoise and jasmine and violet: the whole grey street where she lived was quick and brightly-coloured with hundreds and thousands of butterflies.”

These fragments sound quite interesting, don’t you think? Hmmm, I think I will write soon the continuing stories for these short fragments... Keep reading my blog! :)
I give five stars for the book and for the author’s great idea! :) There is the second book of very short stories, too! I would like to read it; maybe I will find more interesting fragments, ready to be continued! :)



Comments